Newbie Question - Strings

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:52:17 -0600

Charles,

A short story. One of the very first "for pay" tuning jobs I ever did (app.
25 yrs. ago) was for a piano teacher who was involved in a theatre
company I was also in. She knew I was still basically learning but I'd
done the theatre's piano and it sounded OK, so she was trying to help
me out.

Well, you guessed it. A string broke while tuning! And I hadn't gotten
any wire or the tools needed to use it, yet. She had a student coming
later that day, so I spent a good bit of time calling all over the D.C./
Baltimore area trying to find a tech to come out and replace the string.
I eventually did but needless to say, I didn't make much money on that
job. And along the way, I got a lecture from a tuner who in no uncertain
terms, told me that I shouldn't have been out tuning until I had the
necessary tools and knowledge to repair minor things that can come
up in a normal tuning. I ordered a good supply of piano wire and the
tools the next day. :-)

>One motivation for my question is that Randy Potter, in his course,
>advises his students not to buy stuff until you need it. However, with
>stringing, it seems that either you can offer that service or you can't. I
>imagine if you say to a customer, "I'll come back in a week with a string"
>then you've lost the job, or at least made yourself look bad. So I'm
>trying to determine what I would need, without buying too much stuff.

I'm going to take a chance here and "put words" into Randy's mouth.
I would tend to think he's referring to the more major things that you
might eventually be doing to pianos. I think he'd consider being able
to replace a string that breaks while tuning (plain wire) almost as
necessary as being able to tune the piano in the first place. Customers
tend to expect a tech to be able to handle something like that while
you're already there.

My .02 cents. My apologies if I'm wrong, Randy.

>Charles Neuman
>PTG Assoc.

Avery