Action Ratio, was: More off the wall stuff

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:38:37 +0100

Yes yes Isaac

But this is an unneccessary complication for our purposes in describing
action leverage.... and indeed no method of  measuring ratio that I know
of even comes close to addressing these... nor do we need it to.

If we want to set up and action we want to do two things. We want to
allign the geometry as close to as optimal as is possible, and we want
decide the overal action ratio characteristics. This can also includes
different combinations of the individual levers ratios I suppose, but I
havent gotten into designing and action from scratch yet.

While its true that leverage changes through the keystroke, its also
true
that one can take the mean value of all these possible discrete points
on
that leverage curve and come up with a meaningfull description of the
actions general ratio characteristics. This mean will correspond nicely
Stanwoods formula, and to Terrys method of looking a key travel vs
hammer
travel. I cant see that use of the Balance equation does anything more
then finding that same mean value.

Take the following re expression of the Stanwood formula which I worked
out a couple weeks back.

((SW x HR x WR) + WW) * KR = FW + BW

The only unfamiliar terms here should be HR (hammer shank ratio) and WR
(whippen ratio). This is really what the Stanwood equation expresses.
And
its pure Archimedes with the three weight parameters worked in. Reduced
all the way down its just  d1 * W1 = d2 * W2

follow :
((SW x HR x WR) + WW) x KR = (SW x R) + (KR x WW)

 … divide both sides by KR
(SW x HR x WR) + WW = ((SW x R) + (KR x WW)) / KR

...simply the right side of the equality
(SW x HR x WR) + WW  =  (SW x R) / KR + WW

……subtract WW from both sides.
SW x HR x WR = (SW x R ) / KR

…… multiply both sides by KR
SW x HR x WR x KR  =  SW x R

 ……. and finnally dividing both sides by SW.

HR X WR X KR = R

You see ?

This means of course that Frontweights can be solved for by the
following
instead of the Stanwood formula for those who know what to do with such
things.

FW  = (((SW x HR x WR) + WW) * KR ) - BW

Anyways....Since consistancy between the for mentioned three
perspectives
is neccessary to begin with, and because consistancy is a good idea when
exchanging data about different actions.... ie... we need to make sure
we
are all taking about the same ratio.... I think its best to measure the
action ratio as I have mentioned before. Which means the Hammershank
ratio
is taken from the centerpin straight down the shank, the distance to the
middle of the moulding divided by the distance to the middle of the
knuckle core.

Thats my present understanding of things anyways.

Cheers

RicB