My mistake.....my lesson....a cautionary tale

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:03:26 -0700

>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>> >"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission."
>>
>> Or Ayn Rand's "Requires the sanction of the victim".
>>
>> Ron N
>>

>Grin... this is probably closer to the truth.
I agree.  Everything is choice.

>Seriously tho folks... whats the problem ? The origional posting was
>about an unfortunate voicing experience in a concert situation. And our
>freind from Cosmic Cowboy land learned a valuable lesson that I am sure
>he remember.
He remember, all right.  He still sore from the self-reaming... :--)

>We all know there are unreasonable people out there. Given the right
>situation each and every one of us has no doubt been pretty off the wall
>ourselves. None of this has much to do with the lesson learned above.
>Seems like we've spent most of our time in replying to David by finding
>ways of justifying him and ourselves....gone waaaaay out of our way to
>write this pianist off as a totally unreasonable person not worth the
>slightest consideration. Heck, this lady might as well go out and shoot
>herself in the head given the degree of worth she so obviously lacks.
This is fascinating.  My take is this:  I made a mistake or two, realized
it owned up, and made the best out of a bad situation.  The artist WAS
abusive.  I'm an artist, too. I've played & sung in bands and solo in
hundreds of venues all over the world---mostly guitar and bass, now, but
I used to play drums, too.
I have interfaced with hundreds and hundreds of sound techs, mixers,
guitar techs, and roadies of all stripes; I have never handled a screw-up
by someone, a bad mike, no monitor speakers, bad mix,
mistaken sound placement, whatever, with that level of guilt,
belligerence, and passive aggression.
So, I feel for her as an artist, but she failed in a basic human way, and
I got the benefit of  huge lessons; my voicing complacency vanished, and
I'm back on my toes around performance/recording pianos.  So: it's all
good.

>Im not sure whats more fun, reading these kinds of furries into customer
>bashing, or watching Al and Thumpy talk politics, or Bill and Ed dueling
>temperaments at 13 e-paces, or hearing about how Steinways are the worst
>pianos on earth.
It's all fun, baby......

>Grin... another day in the life of Pianotech. Good Morning Vietnam !!
>
>Cheers
>
>RicB
David A.