off list-private was news flash

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:34:19 -0500

At 4:17 PM -0600 1/19/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>Dale,
>>
>>I'm not sure you screwed up.  I sent someone an email after making
>>sure (I thought) that the pianotech address wasn't there.  Yet my
>>email showed up on the list.  What gives?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Clyde
>
>For a while now, I've noticed that just hitting "reply" to some (but
>not all) list messages puts something like
>
>cedel@supernet.com, Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
>
>on the "To:" line, like I see on this message. A couple of times, I
>almost sent what I intended to be a private reply to the list
>because I didn't notice the second entry until I double checked.
>This didn't used to happen, and I don't know who's configuration
>(sender, receiver, or server) is responsible for the change, so I
>don't know what else to do about it except try to remember to verify
>the address before sending. In any case, that might be why this is
>happening more often lately. I'd like to be able to fix this, just
>because it's an unnecessary duplication and waste of bandwidth, but
>haven't found anything in my configuration to account for it. Not
>that it isn't here, I just haven't found it.

It's in the sender. Take a look at Kevin Ramsey's headers (or
instance) and you'll find in the "Reply To:" field:

"Kevin E. Ramsey" <kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net>, Pianotech<pianotech@ptg.org>

Most people's Reply To contains only <pianotech>. Those with their
own address therein as well should change it. It's not however the
reason for Clyde's problem.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"People sitting at computer screens slap their foreheads and pound
keyboards frantically. A technical support representative wearing a
telephone headset calmly asks, 'Have you tried re-formatting your
hard drive?' "
     ...........from "The Trade Show Talk that Wasn't" by Stephen
Manes, NYTimes 11/18/97