Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:36:38 -0700

Hi Susan,
At the present time I tune with both the SATlll and Verituner. And setting
the A4 with a Sanderson accufork takes me about 30 seconds with no points
deducted on tests ie + or - less than .80
Unison tuning is done also with no point deductions. Outside strings tuned
to the center string that has been set with the ETD.
The time saving is in the temperment and the rest of the piano center string
in the plane wire and one string on the bi chords.
 I feel being totally deaf in one ear has caused me problems ( this is not a
problem when 20 feet from the piano but my arms do not reach that far ) in
focusing in on the beats but have noticed that the tuning of the strings
with the ETD takes at least 10 seconds as compaired to 5 seconds for the
notes that I tune auraly.
While I tune the second string of a bichord auraly it usually takes longer
to get the most out of the unison. But the result is always better than the
ETD will do.
This is not always true in the plane strings. The Verituner will often give
a quicker and greater result when the strings can be brought into a better
unison.
My best time for a fine tuning is 45 minutes but I am seldom in a rush mode
<G>
I do feel that if I were to strip mute the piano and tune aurally my hurry
up times would be about 30 minutes  due to less wasted movment.

Joe Goss