Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:08:29 -0800

Well, in roughing in a first pass I suppose it doesn't take any longer if
you are not listening to checks.  When I was tuning aurally it definitely
took me longer and the additional time, I am sure, was in setting the
temperament, listening to various intervals to check my other intervals,
checking octaves and third progressions, sixth progressions, double octaves,
17ths, all the various things I would make a point of listening too as I
went along.  When using an ETD, the temperament is simply tuned
chromatically.  As I proceed up or down the keyboard from the temperament
octave I will listen quickly to the octave to make sure it is not too wide
(rarely does it seem to be to narrow), and proceed.  Unless you go into a
trance looking at the dial, I'm not sure how it couldn't be faster.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Kline" <sckline@attbi.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 19, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

At 07:00 PM 1/19/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>The speed is in not having to listen all the checks.
>
>David Love

Ah, so the slowness is perceived to be in setting the
temperament? Or do people use a lot of octave tests which
I usually dispense with, especially when roughing in a
first pass?

I haven't timed myself, but an aural temperament good enough
for a rough pass probably takes me about five minutes. I
probably spend longer on the later one.

Susan