Unisons by Machine? was Re: Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:44:30 -0600

Bill,

>So what's the point here, Alan. fast, by itself is pointless. We'd like to
>hear about fast, accurate and solid. Aural only, that is.
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Fast is only part of the speed/time advantage afforded by ETDs. (I now use
a laptop w/RCT)

- I don't have to wait until the cleaning crew has finished vacuuming in
the room.  I put a microphone inside the piano and I can do all the center
strings while they vacuum.  Vacuumers have been warned so they usually are
finished by the time I switch into aural mode for final checks and unisons.
This method also allows tuning over basketball thumping and sneaker chirps
- probably works over hotel kitchen noises, too.

- I don't know about others, but the colds I get are very smart. They go
immediately to my ears. Do you have any idea how far off you can be in the
top octave if you have a headcold? (I've measured some notes in top octave
off as much as 75¢) I remember having to be VERY creative (and time
consuming) in checks to even get it close when my ears are plugged.

- When I would be doing bulk tunings (as I am this month) my ears would
"burn out", mind get frazzled and temper get short.  Letting the ETD do
part of the thinking saves what little is left of my mind after giving
pieces of it to this list.

- While I'm doing unisons by ear, I can watch past vacation pictures on the
screensaver - doesn't save time, but helps my mood ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT

Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems