Joe Goss/"Story & Clark Cowboy Piano"????

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:57:10 -0500

Hi Joe

I too service one of those "cowboy pianos".  The woman who owns it has her
house done in southwestern decor so it fits in well.  She bought it at a
garage sale for $50.  It went through a small fire a few years back so she
wanted it refinished.  A most interesting project.  The leather straps were
completely shot so I had to replace them.  Seems like it took 13 feet of
leather per strap.  Since they don't make cows that long, I had to expand my
horizions into the area of leather craft.  Actually joined several shorter
leather straps together using a process called skiving. (sp?)  Even replaced
the brass tacks around the sound holes.  With a new set of key tops, she now
has a wonderful piece of furniture.  She seldom plays it and only has it
tuned about every 5 years but she is happy with it.  I even gave her a copy
of the "Sons of the Pioneers" picture from the atlas.  She has it in a frame
above her piano.  I have often wondered how many of those pianos were made.
I suspect very few.  I am glad to know that I am not the only one to see one
of those pianos.

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI