Keytops

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:33:00 -0800

I made a jig for routing keytops with a Dremel.  It worked for the
excess along the long edges, but doing the notches was hairy.  I used a
rabbeting bit and a very small bearing (which I purchased at a
industrial supply house).  I think that a spiral bit is recommended by
Spurlock for use on a router, but the rabbeting bit I used is straight.
The bit had a pilot with a 1/8" diameter, and the cutting edges were (I
think) about 3/8" diameter.  The bearing was a slip fit over the pilot,
so I used some locktite to glue the two together.  I no longer use the
jig, but the Dremel router table works well with the trimming bit.
Beware: the keytop may get scratched, since you have to slide the
keystick upside down over the table for trimming.
I've since abandoned the Dremel idea, and purchased a small 1" belt
sander.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Renaud
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 9:55 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Keytops

Anyone have a pic. of a jig for
router down key thickness on a dremel router table.
Got dremel toys over Christmas.....

Thinking a couple rails,
something that grabs the key to keep it level
and slides between the guide rails. Add stop block.

Anyone have something they like
and want to post a pic/diagram or description.

                   Cheers
                   Dave Renaud