Noisy spring coils

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:01:00 -0500

Friends,

I came across a new phenomenon today -- new for me anyway.  First-time
tuning of a 1967 George Steck console.  "Crunchy snow" sound coming from
the action.  This is usually either friction between the liftrod and the
damper lever felt, or the hammer butt springs on the felt in the butt
slots.  I know how to take care of both of those things.

But this time it was the hammer butt spring coils.  I never ran into
this before.  Due to schedule contraints this was put on the "to do"
list for the next service call.  Have any of you run into this problem?
Does the noise come from the coil rubbing against itself, or against the
wood, or maybe (I didn't check closely enough) perhaps there is even
felt there.  Which lubricant would be best, and hopefully also easy to
apply, for a long-term cure?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT