Noisy spring coils

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:25:29 -0800

>  First-time
>tuning of a 1967 George Steck console.  "Crunchy snow" sound coming from
>the action.
>
>But this time it was the hammer butt spring coils.

Hi, Clyde.

I've encountered this one, but usually only isolated notes. I found
I could fix it by popping the coil spring out from under the jack tender,
pulling it a little to expand the coils, and putting it back under.

So far I haven't broken one. Of course, sometimes a similar noise comes
from a jack spring where the last coil or two has broken off but sort of
got tangled with the rest of the spring, where there was enough good
spring left to work the note. The piece makes a slightly jingly noise.

Susan