troubleshooting a click and then some

Nelson. Gene (PWA) nelsong@SacCounty.NET
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:45:37 -0800

Thank you for helping a new associate - in advance.

Yesterday I tuned a 35 year old SS-M. The owner stated that it was tuned
only a month ago and "That stupid technician" ruined my piano. The voice is
gone and there is a click that resulted from him removing the action and
doing something - she did not know what he did.

Sound like a nice way for a newbee to start the day?

She is a fine pianist and plays with the power and dynamic range of a
concert artist. Has a good ear too.

The tuning was challenging but held up to her playing. She played harder
than my normal test blow. I made sure that thirds, sixths, tenths and
seventeenth's lined up nicely and octaves were stretched properly and she
did say that the voice was back that was lost. What does this say about her
perception of the piano loosing it's voice??

Now for the click. Note #21 made a definite click when depressing the key,
just before let-off. The piano had tefflon bushings that I determined were
not the cause. After playing with it I determined that the click went away
when I depressed either the sustain or sostenuto pedals. Looking at the back
action I noticed that the sost. lift tab was worn through the felt at the
tip. I could feel that it was farther toward the keys than it's neighbors.
Without seeing what was going on I suspected that the sost. tab must be
contacting the sost. lever when all was at rest. Then as the key was
depressed it would pick up the damper lift lever, the sost. tab would
momentarily be held down and then released as the damper lift lever
continued to rise. When the sost. tab was released it would make a click.

Initially I declined to attempt repair as it took about an hour of driving
on the freeway to have the observed symptioms gel in my brain. I guess the
answer would be to check the damper wire for any fore/aft bends and correct
it. Maybe clip off the end of the sost. lift tab since it is worn through
anyway??

As for the tuning, about 20 or more unisons were way out and the piano was
about 0.5 cents sharp - pretty close other than unisons. There was no
humidity control system in place and it is cool and damp here in Sacramento
California. These unisons suggest that the pins were not set correctly and
she may have formed her opinion of the previous tech based on that?? You
would have to see her play to appreciate her power. It really put my
stability knowlege to the test. Very intimidating.

Regardless, my people skills and technical skills need help. How to address
the click without getting trapped into discussing "that stupid technician"
that preceeded me?? I do not want to reinforce in her mind that the previous
tech was stupid.

I thought that maybe it could be possible that this damper was leaking since
it is that strange one at the brake that is so difficult to fit and the
privious tech could have attempted to repair it??

Also I will return soon to do the repair.

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.

Gene Nelson Sacramento Valley Chapter PTG