Key Leveling System

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:49:44 -0700

    I recently purchased one of Carl Meyer's Key leveling systems, and I
finally got a chance to use it. I've got it at the shop, where we do a lot
of piano disc installs, which messes up the key leveling as often as not.
    I was rushed for time, and wasn't sure if setting it up for the first
time would take more time in the long run than if I just did it my own way,
but I took a chance and went for it. Subject was a Steinway L which the
buyer wanted a piano disc.
    Took me a couple of minutes to set up, but once I did, that was the
easiest leveling job I've ever done! Two passes, and it was perfect! I used
key end weights, because of the half dowels, rather than putting the
punchings in with the stack on.
    What amazed me, though, was when I put the action back in the piano with
the cheek blocks on, the keybed must have had a crown, because the keys had
that 1/32" crown in the center.
    Carl was an instructor at our Arizona State Seminar here last month, so
I bought one of these then. Roger Jolly was here too, and I just got the bar
tab today. (Grin)

    Kevin E. Ramsey