Aural vs. electronic again

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:33:55 -0800

At 07:15 PM 1/24/2003 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>How high can you hear the fourths while you're tuning?

I'll be interested to hear David's reply. I'm not sure
that I hear what you think I should (discrete beats per
second), but I LISTEN to fourths all the way to the top.
I feel like I'm tempering octaves, fifths, and fourths,
trying to get all of them as un-obnoxious as possible,
but allowing the fourths to move a little more
than the fifths, and the fifths a little more than the
octave.

It seems to give me the sound I want, and it's a fail-safe
for both the temperament and the scaling and inharmonicity
of the piano. That is, if I goof up on a particular note,
the fourth and fifth above will complain about it, so I
notice it.

In the upper register I do often hear that lower tone
when playing both notes of fifths or fourths simultaneously
instead of melodically. (Is it a "tap tone?" My book learning
is starting to retire from old age and neglect.) For some
reason I don't hear it when music is being played.

David's turn --

Susan