Tunelab question

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:32:52 -0800 (PST)

> Is this "pitch change" an actual phenomenon in
> pianos or an
> artifact of sampling in the computer?

I think the reason is mostly from piano.A piano is
such a complicated vibrating system,constructed by
more than 200 strings(all of them have been stretched
more or less),a soundboard(might have cracks or loosed
ribs),two or three bridges(may have loosed bridge pins
or bad notches)and....,all of these components
interactive together and contribute to a "chaos"
vibration.So even the most decent concert piano may
have a few notes with  noticeble "false beats".

Tunelab,as well as other ETDs, are very sesitive
devices,which will show the smallest pitch deviation.

>If it is the
> former,
> what should you use for tuning?

You can either shift to another string of the same
union,or you can try to get rid of the false beats
before you tune it.

Baoli