Tuning problems

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:51:42 +0100

On vrijdag, jan 24, 2003, at 17:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Michael Gebhardt
wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I've recently started to teach myself piano tuning. During
> Christmas holidays, I've had an opportunity to tune my
> parent's piano (1980 Hamburg Steinway A). I've noticed the
> following problem:
>
> When I tune the strings that pass under the capo bar,
> nothing happens at first, and as I continue to turn the
> lever, the pitch suddenly "jumps" far beyond the point
> where I want to get it as soon as friction in the contact
> point with the capo bar is overcome.
>
> In order to get a smoother change, I had to strike the note
> several times VERY firmly after each slight turn of the
> pin, to equalize string tension.
>
> So here the question:
> Since I haven't so much tuning practice, it might take many
> such firm strikes before getting an acceptable final
> result. So I ask for your opinions if this might lead to an
> excessive wear of the hammer felt (compression and
> engraving of the strings), more than say a few hours of
> normal playing.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Michael

Hello Michael,

Steinways are the most difficult of 'em all because of the fact that
the tuning pins have no tuning pin dowels. This means that the tuning
pins have more torque and are easier to 'bend'.
Bending, or leaning on tuning pins is forbidden so we really have to
move the pin while tuning.
I have learned to always place my tuning hammer towards the tail of the
grand piano in order to help the existing powers of pulling.
During the process of 'moving' the tuning pin it is best to hear a
'tick' as proof of the movement of the tuning pin in the pin block.
It also can be helpful to use an ETD because the display clearly shows
the loss of tension in cents, or less. This may help you to improve
your tuning technique very fast as it is painful to see how fast
actually the tension goes off due to a lack of technique.
I found out about my lack of technique much later in my career because
nobody had given me proper education and/or sound advice. When I
realized that I had no technique at all it became clear that I still
had a long way to go. Since then I worked hard on the Steinways in
particular and I now feel a very confident late-bloomer, as it took me
a long time to master this technique.
Actually, tuning technique is the most important. Make sure first that
your tuning is rock steady, then work on a beautiful harmony.
It is the same with all professions and arts : technique first,
development, understanding and inspiration will follow.

friendly greetings from

Antares,
The netherlands

Where Music is no harm can be.......