CLP and Styran

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:41:16 -0800

If you have tight bushing caused by excess humidity, NO lubricant, including
CLP will remedy the problem, at least not for very long.  It does NOT shrink
the swollent bushing, which is the root cause of the sluggishness. I almost
always have fine results with Alcohol/water applied to the bushings; by the
next day the action is working like a well oiled machine. THEN I follow up
with CLP or silicone cut with Nap.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Piannaman@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: CLP and Styran
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:05:27 EST

Ladies and gents,

I went out on a service call last week to deal with a rental piano that had
sticky keys.  It was a Kawai console that was in a room approximately six
feet from an open window.  It IS January, and even though this is
California,
there was a substantial amount of cool, damp air blowing in from outside.
After a brief and kindly lecture about the evils of drafts and
temperature/humidity fluctuation, I set to work.

There were many sticking keys and sluggish hammers.  It was tight centers,
so
I figured, hey, CLP will do the trick.  I was wrong.  For whatever reason,
there was no noticeable improvement in the sluggishness. I assume that none
of the excess fluid gets absorbed by the plastic as it might get absorbed by
wood.  Anybody know for sure?

I reamed a few flange bushings and replaced some corroded pins and the
situation was resolved, but a less time-consuming solution would be
desirable..  Anybody got an answer, and/or a lubricant that might work with
Styran?

Dave Stahl