Capo Hardening, was: Tuning problems under capo bar

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:17:51 -0500

Oops...  My email was delayed, due to an internet problem.  My question =
about grinding the capo had already been answered.  However, what about =
the magnetic hardening?  This is usually done with higher tech alloys, =
not gray cast iron.  But can it be done with cast iron??? =20

Regarding the prospect of setting a steel rod in a groove ground in the =
capo...  What dia of rod?  Also, is spring steel the best choice -- i.e. =
like piano wire?

Peace,
Sarah
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 1:27 AM
  Subject: Re: Capo Hardening, was: Tuning problems under capo bar

  I've wondered about this myself.  My Wissner's capo is very badly =
grooved.  I've shifted some of the strings slightly to eliminate their =
"zinging," but the capo will obviously need reshaping.

  As far as I'm aware, different metals are hardened via different =
methods.  However, the fact remains that this usually involves heating =
and cooling for various periods of time -- something that's hard to do =
with something as large as a harp -- and difficult to do without =
stressing the metal and risking a crack.

  I believe some ferrous alloys are hardened with magnetic fields, =
perhaps with moderate heating.  Perhaps this could be a useful =
alternative?  I have no idea how this is done, though.

  Alternatively, does anybody ever grind the original capo off and =
overlay a hardened bar, fitted for height?  It could be epoxied in place =
for a tight mechanical contact.  Of course this begs the question of =
what happens when a capo is ground and filed and ground and filed and =
ground and files -- until the downbearing is inadequate.  Yes, I know =
the plate can be lowered, the bridge can be built up, the aliquot plates =
can be filed, etc., but does this ever present a problem, such that a =
technician might decide to rebuild a capo?

  Peace,
  Sarah Fox=20
  (Columbus, Ohio)
    ----- Original Message -----=20