Capo Hardening, was: Tuning problems under capo bar

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:03:31 +1100

At 1:27 AM -0500 25/1/03, Sarah Fox wrote:

>I've wondered about this myself.  My Wissner's capo is very badly
>grooved.  I've shifted some of the strings slightly to eliminate
>their "zinging," but the capo will obviously need reshaping.
>
>As far as I'm aware, different metals are hardened via different
>methods.  However, the fact remains that this usually involves
>heating and cooling for various periods of time -- something that's
>hard to do with something as large as a harp -- and difficult to do
>without stressing the metal and risking a crack.
>
>I believe some ferrous alloys are hardened with magnetic fields,

The process is called induction hardening. It is very effective since
the depth of hardening can be controlled by the frequency of the
magnetic field.

>perhaps with moderate heating.  Perhaps this could be a useful
>alternative?  I have no idea how this is done, though.

An induction coil has to be constructed such that the desired
magnetic field is developed where it is required.

>  Alternatively, does anybody ever grind the original capo off and
>overlay a hardened bar, fitted for height?

We do this all the time with the front duplex bars, you can place
them in best position for de-tuning and at the shortest possible
length. The Steinway D we did late last year has the cleanest treble
we've ever heard on a D. I ground the original duplex bars off and
filled the plate topography with body filler before positioning the
bars. Looks very tidy and I like to clarity now.

>It could be epoxied in place for a tight mechanical contact.

There's enough down force from the string angle of turn over the bar.

>Of course this begs the question of what happens when a capo is
>ground and filed and ground and filed and ground and files -- until
>the downbearing is inadequate.

Once the bar is hardened once, if it is done properly, the bar never
deforms again. Furthermore, after six years of commercial service
they tune as if they were restrung the week before.

Ron O.

--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers