Hanta Virus

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:29:23 -0500

Hi Thump,

> O.K..  But I've heard that some are very good at
> encapsulating themselves with something to remain cozy
> and safe in a hostile environment, until a more
> amenable one presents itself. And a piano, especially
> a neglected piano in a damp basement or such, dark and
> enclosed, seems a VERY hospitable environment for
> poop-encased virii to "lay low" until a scrumptious
> host (tuner, kid, etc.) arrives.

That may be.  As I said, I don't know anything about this *particular*
virus -- just viruses in general.    Some *bacterii* encapsulate themselves,
either to avoid imune recognition or to retain moisture.  The encapsulating
substance is usually a heavy glycolipid, which sucks up moisture from the
air.  I don't know whether any viruses come encapsulated with anything
heavier than a light protein coat.  (They would have to *come* that way.
They can't do it themselves.)  The fact still remains, though, once they dry
out, they can't come back.

Peace,
Sarah