A Bag - A Bang

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:40:36 -0800 (PST)

  I've recently tuned a couple of new Pearl River
uprights in the customer's home for a local dealer.

  Pitch was a tad low on the first, and the strings
acted like they were sticking to the pressure bar.  I
had to lower each string then bring it up to pitch.
(If you're counting, it took 3 passes)

  The second piano was 12 cents sharp, and as I
lowered pitch about every 3rd or 4th string would BANG
like it had been super stuck.  Imagine the sound of a
breaking string...amplified.  It was hair-raising.

   I'm thinking the container these pianos were in got
dunked in seawater before reaching our shores.  Or
maybe somebody ate the "don't eats".

Dave Davis
Renton, WA