hanta

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:20:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I think that spraying the surfaces with bleach would
be the ultimate in prevention.

My concern is that many viri do have the ablity to
"dry" to a spore state--where they are inactive until
moisturized--like the nice wet dark interior of your
lungs.

At 10:47 AM 1/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Don!
>
>Thanks for the site referral.
>
>A couple of thoughts .....
>
>The viruses are surrounded by a fatty envelope that
is easily destroyed by
>fat solvents, such as alcohol and disinfectants.
This in turn kills the
>virus.
>
>The viruses live for only a few days outside of a
host organism.  The risk
>of being infected is greatest in closed spaces where
rodents are actively
>living.
>
>So ..... does this mean if we can isolate a piano
from rodent access for at
>least a week a so before cleaning it out, the chances
of getting sick are
>greatly reduced?
>
>Also, the actual occurrence of the hanta virus in
humans is still less than
>500 cases nationwide.  Still doesn't sound like
anything I would want to
>mess with.
>
>Z! Reinhardt  RPT

=====