Drill press

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:12:25 -0500

Greetings lists,
         I have been reading through some of the archives and the Journal
reprint CD's about drill presses and pin block drill in the piano. Most of
the pictures I've seen are of radial drill presses. Is there an advantage
to a radial drill press over just your normal, average, everyday, run of
the mill drill press? Is the reach offered by the radial feature needed or
more convenient in drilling in the piano? I read manufacturers data and
they mostly have similar features but are significantly harder to find than
"normal" presses. I have been drilling "outside the box" but wish to
economize movement and try the other way. It seems that it is possible with
a regular bench type press but many throughout both above mentioned
literature express a preference for the radial press. Why? Is it reach
alone? Both must ride on some sort of shimmed rail or angled trolley type
system if anything other than a tuning pin being perpendicular to the plate
is desired. I can't foresee a need to tilt the pin left or right. Is there
one? What other advantages would there be?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net