Plane/Chisel Stone Sharpening

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:02:19 -0600

>I am using Shapton ceramic sharpening
>stones:  http://www.shaptonstones.com/  (Professional Series) and the
>Veritas Honing Guide and Bevel Setter: http://www.garrettwade.com/ (type
>in "veritas honing guide).
>
>Am I missing something here? Or is this a universal problem? Or is this
>one of those skill/experience things (damn, I hate those)?
>
>Terry Farrell

I use a 2"x6" coarse diamond grit DMT for roughing in (after the bench
grinder), and a 2"x6" Eze-Lap fine diamond grit "stone" for final
sharpening. I'll eventually replace the DMT with a coarse Eze-Lap, because
I like the continual surface rather than the perforated steel, plastic
embedded surface of the DMT. Diamond grit surfaced steel plates mean I
don't have to waste time flattening a sharpening stone - ever. I have a
sharpening bevel guide I got somewhere (??) years ago, but I retired it
after the first attempt. I just don't sharpen chisels or plane irons that
way. I grind and rough hone a primary bevel, probably slightly shallower
than the books and bevel gage instructions suggest, then finish the edge
with a fine stone at a slightly steeper angle then the primary bevel. This
gives me an edge I could shave with (if I were to suddenly lose what little
mind I have left), that is still tough enough to use in actual work for a
while without turning it on a piece of maple at the first stroke (like an
X-Acto, or single edge razor blade). The secondary finish bevel means I can
touch up the edge periodically as I work without having to take a half
pound of material off of the entire primary bevel each time. Touching up
the edge takes seconds, at least with chisels and knives. Plane irons take
seconds too, just more of them for disassembly, retrieving dropped parts,
frog control, and the like. Eventually, I hone the secondary bevel deep
enough that I have to take it to the coarse stone and re-establish the
primary bevel. Stupidly dropping it on it's edge means I have to start at
the beginning with the bench grinder - again. It's all freehand.

Ron N