Plane/Chisel Stone Sharpening

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:37:13 -0500

Terry -

Like Greg Newell, I would recommend a Tormek, which I own and am happy
with,  however, I went to the Shapton site and went into the forums.  I
realized that you probably already have a considerable investment in these
stones, and a lot of people in the Zen sharpening culture seem to think
very highly of them.  Of the discussions I read, no one seems to imply that
they use any guides with these stones.  Why don't you post to them?  They
seem to be willing to address this sort of question, though I suspect you
might want to retire the skill/experience comment, for obvious (I think)
reasons.  I did get the sense that these stones are designed for Japanese
style cutting tools, not Western.    Sharpening...Now, there's something
uncontroversial.   Good luck

David Skolnik