Wippen Cushion Cloth Replacement

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:03:30 -0500

Ed, thanks for the info.  Now, I attempted to find a phone number for
the Steinway Part/Service Depart and found was a number for
merchandise such as jewerly, sweaters, etc., 1-718-721-2600.
Would this be the same phone number?
And will Steinway ask for a serial number of a Steinway piano before
they will sell any parts?.  Here's why.
These wippens look exactly like the Steinway Wippen as depicted in
the "Piano Parts & Their Functions" book, or the Grand Wippen, #931C,
Steinway pre 1984 style, as shown in the Schaff catelog.
However, I have a dozen of these wippens, taken from "some" grand,
that I am first going to replace the cloth cushions as a practice
"educational" exercise, prior to the next action I work on that needs
this replacement work done on the wippen cushions.  I want to be
better prepared next time.  And the next time may well be my own
Farrand Grand which I will "rebuild"  this spring/summer.
Joe Goss also suggested using steam on the dimples, I also tried that
on the Packard upright along with the vodka as Susan Kline suggested.
Mixed results as I did say.
OK, now it's your turn again.
Regards, Gordon