pedals

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:06:44 -0600

Hi Brian,

I noticed you didn't get much response from your earlier post, so I'll offer
a suggestion.

How hard would it be to measure the length you need?  You may need to
disassemble the pedal lyre to determine what's inside the lyre box and if
you'll be needing to do some refelting, etc.  (That'll change the dimension
slightly.)  Also, have a look at what's on the underside of the keybed.
Those felts that are at the top of the lyre rods may need replaced at the
same time.

If you want something to substitute for the pedal rods that you can
calculate with and even mess up that won't cost much, get yourself a few
1/4" wooden dowels from the hardware store.  Cut each of them to fit in
where the rod will go to as close to the dimension you think you'll need as
you can.  (Hint... it's easy to cut more off, it's hard to reattach...) If
you get it a little short, make note of it on the rod so you can cut the
real one that much longer.  Mark one for each pedal rod.  (They're probably
all a slightly different length.)

Use the wooden dowels as patterns for some 1/4" (or whatever size you think
might have been close to the original) brass rod.  Cut to length, polish,
lacquer, install, and be the hero of the day.  You may need some pieces of
felt as shims if you get the rods a bit too short.  A lot will depend on how
well you measure and think things out before you cut.  And when you're done,
keep the dowels around.  You'll use them for something!

Just one possibility of several.

Good luck,

Brian T.