Aural Octaves (Jim Coleman Sr)

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:06:33 -0500 (EST)

I'm a little confused by Jim's statement below, from his email on Aural
Octaves:

>        CAUTION! For those preparing to take the PTG Tuning exam,
>        remember that it is required to
>        tune the top octave C7 to B7 as simple pure octaves (2-1
>        type?) without the additional stretch
>        which the above procedure would produce. Therfore, utilize
>        the 10th-17th test such as G#4-C6
>        and G#4-C7  to be equal in beat rate. Also F5-C6 and F5-C7
>        to be equal.

Does that mean the stretch suddenly ends at the last octave? Or are you
just cautioning us not to stretch too much on the exam? Those look like
2:1 octaves to me, so it seems like the stretch just ends at the last
octave, and the tuning curve levels out.

Also, Jim, I hope you'll post your comments on bass octave tuning.

Thanks,

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island