Water(?) stain

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:45:55 -0500

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:02:23 -0500 Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
writes:
> Friends,
>
> A Baldwin with a very nice cherry finish has a milkish stain on the
> music shelf.  I don't remember seeing that last year.  It looks
> like
> there may have been a flower vase there.
>
> Is this something I can take care of, or do we need a professional
> remove the evidence of the dirty deed and refinish the area?  No, I
> am
> not experienced in furniture touchup.  I'm just asking if there is
> quick and easy remedy.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Hi Clyde -

This may very well be a job for a touch-up man, but if you are at all
adventurous, you could try using some denatured alchol. Slightly dampen a
cloth with the alcohol, and using your arm like a pendulum, with the wood
surface as the bottom of the stroke, sweep back and forth across the
water spot a dozen or more times with the cloth to see if you get any
results.  Do not stop the movement of the cloth, and the motion should be
in the direction of the grain of the wood.  Might work.  Might not.  If
not, you could try buffing/rubbing it out with a rubbing compound, or
call in a professional touch-up guy/gal.  Sometimes these things are
quite accommodating, other times quite aggravating.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com