ozone chamber

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:42:33 EST

mcpiano@globetrotter.net writes:

> Well, he is supposed to send me a list of product I could try to get
> in Canada to clean the wood parts, and he talked about building a tent
> to fumigate the action (Thermo-fogging). There were 24 pianos
> affected. Some of them not even worth tuning mind you. This estimate
> just bugs me. I whish I could just tell them to junk these. I find it
> stupid to spend money to repair (remove odor) pianos that are not
> worth tuning (some of them I've refused to tune for over 2 years).
> Well, who ever said that life was perfect. I guess they wer lucky. The
> firemen covered the pianos before putting out the fire, and since the
> fire was between the roof and the ceiling, most of the heat went out.
> The pianos were taken out very rapidly and the humidity level was
> brought down to 40% within 48 hrs.
>
> I still have to make an estimate of repairs for the insurance people
> and I don't like it at all.
>
> Marcel

Marcel.

You are obviously the "expert" when it come to the pianos. Regardless of
where the fire was, the heat, and especialy and humidity of the water putting
out the fire, was enough to rust the strings, and damge the felts inside the
pianos. When you give your estimete, don't just cocer the outide of the
piano. Put down that each piano has to be restrung, that it needs new damper
felts, and regualtion, new hammers, new felt punching under the keys, and
compelte regualtion, etc. etc. In other words, make the repair estimates high
enough so that you can either completely rebuild these intrumetns, or they
are forced to buy buy new ones. You are not cheating the insurance company.
The school paid for the insurance, and you can bet your bottom dollar, that
the insurance compnay is going to try to cheat the school every chance they
get. Hold firm on your estimate. Don't let the insurance company talk you out
of anything. If the school wants to use the money for the pianos for toher
projects, thats another story. But the inuracen compnay owes it to the shcool
to either repair the instrumetns, or replace. them.

Wim