Interesting Problems in a Seiler upright

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:19:09 -0700

I had a similar thing happen once.  Only to discover after turning all
those capstan screws that the action simply wasn't seated properly! :-)

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 9:17 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Interesting Problems in a Seiler upright

Today I went out to service a Seiler model 131(top of the line with
magnetically assisted action) that is around 3 years old.  The owner
complained of dampers not working.

When I arrived at his home, I found that the piano was so far out of
regulation that I felt obliged to look for structural damage in the
instrument.  I have never seen a piano so far out of whack.  There was
no cracked plate, no warped keybed(it has a metal frame under the
keyboard), nothing out of place, no signs of anything broken.  The
hammers were between 1/4 and 1/2 inch off the rail, and most of them
blocked against the strings when played with a moderate to hard blow.  I
thought of trying to raise the action bracket bolts(the ones they rest
on on the keybed) to raise the entire action up a small amount, but they
were as high as they could go without bending the nose bolts upward.

I figured it was a humidity problem that had caused some swelling.
That's a helluva a lot of swelling, though.  I ended up having to turn
the capstans down more than one complete turn, then re-regulate the
let-off and the back checks.  It came out fine, but I am wondering why
this happened.  According to the lady of the house, it went from good to
unplayable in about a month.  It was almost as if someone had given a
toddler some tools and told him to go play with the action.

Anybody ever seen anything like this in a really high quality
instrument?

Dave Stahl