soundboardinstal again

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:08:57 -0700

Ron:

I was basing my assumption on an article I read some years back by Bob Hohf
(I think) about bridge recapping.  He used a go bar method for prestressing
the bridge prior to setting bearing.  In wedging the board, you are aiming
for a certain amount of deflection at each strut, right?  Wouldn't the
amount of pressure on the board based on the amount of deflection vary
quite a bit based on the location of the struts and flex in the struts,
among other things.  Why would this be a more reliable method (though, you
are right, I have not experimented with the go bar method).  BTW, what
would be "dangerous" about the use of go bars this way--I think you
mentioned that in a previous post.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net