soundboardinstal again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:29:24 -0500

>I was basing my assumption on an article I read some years back by Bob Hohf
>(I think) about bridge recapping.  He used a go bar method for prestressing
>the bridge prior to setting bearing.  In wedging the board, you are aiming
>for a certain amount of deflection at each strut, right?

You're going more for a certain amount of stiffness than deflection.

>Wouldn't the
>amount of pressure on the board based on the amount of deflection vary
>quite a bit based on the location of the struts and flex in the struts,
>among other things.

Yes, to some degree, though I don't think strut flex will have much - uh -
bearing (sorry) on the process. Actual soundboard deflection will vary
depending on the board stiffness. Some boards will be stiff enough at a
relatively small deflection, some will require more. Many an old board has
been restrung that wasn't stiff enough to support the bearing put on it and
still have positive crown.

>Why would this be a more reliable method (though, you
>are right, I have not experimented with the go bar method).

Because with wedges you can feel what you've got in board stiffness. and
can compare stiffness with remaining crown.

Ron N