"Frozen" hammer rail screws

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:34:29 -0300

Hi Paul,
It is imperative that the screwdriver tip is the exact size needed, otherwise there is more chance of the screw head being damaged.
Brian's idea of heat is also a good idea.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Tizzard
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 4:55 AM
  Subject: "Frozen" hammer rail screws

  Hi list,

  Last week I assessed a piano at a local school that has all of the hammer rail screws "frozen" in the rail. The school is near the coast and the piano is in their hall. There is definitely a lot of moisture around generally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free the screws? I know heat is going to be involved, but what tools etc do you suggest? Are there any other possibilities? Finally, what is the worst case scenario?
  Thanks in advance.

  Paul Tizzard
  S. Africa