Polishing a Turd/CA'd pinblock update

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:53:33 -0700

I just finished an "all-nighter", (I hate it when I get behind...my own
doin'!) Thought I'd give y'all an update on the CA treatment. I'm happy to
say it was a very big success. I now have a pianer that tunes like a new
Baldwin! I'm not too sure how it happened, as I only CA'd the loosest tuning
pins. Perhaps I should back up, for those who have not been following my
last posts on this project. Victorian/German Upright. Some idjit did a
really bad job of restringing it. He used 5/0 tuning pins, so nowhere to go
but CA. Most of the pins were in the 75 inch pounds to 100 inch pounds
range. And then there were the LOOSE ones measuring in at 25 to 60 inch
pounds! the piano has a full plate w/o plate bushings. (Someone was smiling
on me, there!) I used a 5cc Hypodermic with number 21 X 1" needle, (blunted
so's I wouldn't inject myself!). BTW, the Vaseline trick worked very well,
so's I'm not permanently affixed to the plate. <G>
I carefully dribbled the CA around the most offensive, (low torque), pins
and gave it 24 hours. Most of the low torque pins came up, but not to my
liking, so I gave the persistent "lows" another second shot. That was 48
hours ago. For some reason, ALL of the tuning pins are now in the 150 inch
pound to 180 inch pound range! Yikes! The only thing that I can suspect
happened, was the liquid fumes of the CA traveled between the pin block and
the underside of the plate to ALL of the available orifices. Since that
stuff is really "Fumey", (if that's a word?), it would permeate any porous
substance in close proximity. Purely speculation, on my part, but I'm here
to tell you, the piano is a workout to tune now! As for longevity, donno.
I'm hoping it's going to last for a long time, as the client is a royal pain
in the butt and would not be happy if it started having
"loose-tuning-pin-itis any time soon. Since it's Sunday, a prayer would be
appropriate, (mine and yours). Well, so much for the "Polishing a Turd"
saga. Y'all be happy and Healthy.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)