Frozen hammer rail screws

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:18:17 +0100

Paul Tizzard wrote,

>>"Last week I assessed a piano at a local school that has all of the
hammer rail screws "frozen" in the rail. The school is near the coast
and the piano is in their hall. There is definitely a lot of moisture
around generally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free the
screws? I know heat is going to be involved, but what tools etc do you
suggest? Are there any other possibilities? ">>>>

Hello Paul,
When you have heated the screws, give them a short sharp whack with the
screwdriver inserted using a small hammer. This may break any bonding as
well. After doing this, apply pressure with the screwdriver first clockwise
as if you were trying to make it tighter, and then apply pressure
anticlockwise. Keep going forwards and backwards like this until there are
wider and wider movements of the screwhead. You will get a feel as to when
the screw is turning in the wood as against the head just twisting. Also
there is a product there called Wynne's Pry and Dry. Give those screws a
liberal dousing before you start.
   By the way, are you the tech I borrowed a tuning lever from for 10
minutes when I was playing a piano at a nearby bistro one night and some
loose tuning pins just let go on me? Did you work at a place called
Pianoland in Main Rd, Claremont about 15 years ago? It's just that the name
is very familiar. You probably know another tech called Nol Klinkhamer
(originally from Holland) whose surname is very apt for that of a piano
tuner!

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh