Deep Freeze Piano!!!!!

Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:29:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bratcher" <MBratPianos@indy.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 01, 2003 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: Deep Freeze Piano!!!!!

> I remember a story about a guy in Michigan (I think), that has and is
> recovering old timber that has sank into the mud at the bottom of a
river.
> These logs have been there for over a hundred years.  These logs are
> supposed to have superior resonance capabilities.  I guess it is due to
the
> leeching of the bad stuff (whatever that is).  He has made himself very
> wealthy by selling these logs to violin makers and such.

Assuming these logs actually do have "superior resonance capabilities"--a
debatable issue at best--this very characteristic would then make them
totally unsuitable for piano soundboards. Which, as we know, really should
be non-resonant.

> I'm sure the growth rings would be tighter on these old growth logs.  I
also
> remember the story mentioning the wood as being similar to Stradivarius
> violins.  It's a shame we won't have wood like this again in our
lifetimes.
> Or ever if we have been paying attention to what Del has been telling us
for
> years.

Tighter growth rings only means a slow-growth tree--not an old tree. But it
is true that we will probably never see trees like this again. Slow growth
typically takes place within an old-growth forest and it takes hundreds of
years to create an old-growth forest. It's not the most economical way to
create fiber. And maximum fiber yield is where the money is.

Del

> Mike Bratcher

Again,