Loose Footed Soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:32:54 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_0015_01C32913.DA8B8540
This is a photo of my new upright soundboard looking squarely at the =
bottom of the piano. The bottom-most wood you see is the bottom timbers =
of the frame. The next layer upwards you see is the very bottom edge of =
the soundboard panel (note the vertical grain orientation). The layer =
above that is the edge of the loose-foot cut-out. The right end of the =
picture is where the loose-foot cut-out terminates on the right side of =
the piano and the left end of the picture is near the center of the =
loose-foot, showing the maximum panel rise.The loose foot allows the =
panel to rise because it is no longer tied down to the liner - and here =
you can see that the thing rose almost the full thickness of the panel - =
about 7 mm in this area.

Below is another view of the loose-foot cut-out (and yes, next time if I =
want to cut a bevel in the groove I will use a router bit rather than a =
chisel - hey, it's an upright and this area lies behind the plate!). The =
view is looking from the right (treble) end of the soundboard panel =
across the bottom edge of the soundboard toward the left side (bass) of =
the piano. I think you can pretty easily see how much the panel rose =
from its glued-down position, and the overall curvature of the panel in =
this area.

 =20

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_0015_01C32913.DA8B8540