Billings Flanges= a shoulder to cry on

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:16:44 -0400

Hello to all.

I returned an action with the infamous Billings Flanges earlier today. As I
was replacing the Dampers in this piano I noticed how many more of these
flanges were loose/just about to break...13 in all.

The part that was breaking on me is the part that probably breaks on most
anybody else, but this is my first look at Billings flanges...they are
breaking at the top of the part that is attached to the plate. I'm assuming
that part has a groove for the flange pin.

Now - there's a stub left over on the plate after this piece breaks off..is
the correct repair to remove said stub from the plate and work the repair
from that point, or do you leave the stub on the plate and work around it?

I need to order more parts..and hopefully get a few answers here.

Thanks,

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com