Woodworking question

Gerald Posey poseyviolins@charter.net
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:50:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>; <MPT@philbondi.com>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 12:26 PM
Subject: Woodworking question

I am in the process of making a new form for gluing up a laminated beam.
The desired shape is a simple arc. I have sliced 8) roughly 12"x48"x3/4"
sections out of a piece of MDO and stacked and affixed them together. I
drew the simple arc on the top piece and followed it with a bandsaw. I now
have what I thought would be a good form for gluing up my laminated arc
beam. Why don't the two pieces of the form draw the laminates together
completely and what can I do about it? I find that the laminates are tight
at the ends of the arc and there is a gap between the laminates in the
middle of the arc. Any suggestions?

My first guess is that the arc you cut in the MDO was set at some radius,
then using the two pieces as cauls.  The beam however has a different radius
for the inside of the arc and the outside because of it's thickness.
Gerald