pictures on the list

Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:13:02 +0200

Don wrote:

> Hi Del,
>
> With the large pictures being a clickeable link the picture would remain
> available to all and any who wished to see it. The link would be part of
> the pertinant email. Although storeage space on computers is quite large
> compared to just a few years ago it is *still* limited. Then too there is
> the issue of the archives. If the pictures were all on a central server
> they would be available as a clickeable link from the archives--which the
> embedded pictures are *not*.

About the only real advantage I can see to the central server thing is the
ability to make high resolution pictures available to all. For the rest I just
dont buy it.

Its not going to help net traffic at all, as viewing them or attaching them
yields the same transfer time. And tho perhaps fewer will view them, the larger
resolution size will probably more then eat up the difference. I think too you
will find that as pictures start piling in the amount of storage space needed
will get to be quite large indeed, which means they will have to have an
expiration date which in turn defeats the archiving benifit. A benifit which is
only short term anyways as a bunch of pictures with no real reference beyond a 3
year, 5 year, 10 year old email that will be difficult at best to find so many
years later are meaningless.

And finally, the amount of small size low res pictures being sent out on the
list can in no way be construed to be << a big problem >>.  If you cant handle a
40 KB file once in a while, or occasionally deal with asking somebody to send
you a picture privately cuz you dont know how to configure your e-mail reader
correctly, thats of course too bad. But not too bad enough to warrant banning
the rest of us to utilze this capability.

MV

> If you wished to "save" the picture with the email it would still be easily
> done on your local machine.
>
> I suspect that those who choose to get the list in "digest" format would
> also find the central server idea of great use.

The digest problem has already been addressed after David Stanwoods last note on
the subject.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.