Billings Flanges = Brass Rail

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 06:44:42 -0400

Keith and all,

Well, I guess what I meant is that in the repairs I did using brass rail
repair clips, the permanence of the repair was unpredictable,
particularly when there wasn't much of a stub left to work with.  And
there is the possibility that I didn't do it right.  These clips come
with no instructions, but the hammer wouldn't stay put, and I had to keep
doing callbacks to space the hammer because it would hang up on a
neighbor.  I hate doing any kind of work that I can't guarantee.

Another factor to consider is this.  If one brass rail tooth breaks, how
long will it be until another one goes?  My opinion is to either fix the
problem correctly with a whole new rail (and I agree there may be a few
pianos where this is reasonable), or ditch the piano.  Unfortunately, my
opinions are not always smart, although I like to think they are. <G>

Regards,
Clyde