Piano Recording, was: Soundboard #001 Finished

Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:57:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 03, 2003 8:14 AM
Subject: Piano Recording, was: Soundboard #001 Finished

> Thanks for the kind words. One question I have had for a while now is
what recommendations does anyone have for equipment and techniques for
recording a piano. I currently have zero equipment and zero knowledge of
how to go about making a recording that might reasonably reflect the true
sound of the piano. My current budget for equipment is pretty darn close to
zero also, but I need to know what direction I need to head in.

> Terry Farrell
-----

Someone has been doing classes on this at conferences and conventions. I
must be having a geezer moment because his name escapes me just now. Keith
Kopp? Somebody. I borrowed some equipment from him at the PNWRC a couple of
years back when I developed laryngitis and could barely talk but the show
must go on.

I've never had a free time when the class has been given but I've heard
good things about it. You might check the class schedule for the upcoming
convention.

Uprights tend to record well if you put them some out in the room and put a
couple of large, extended range--you have to watch that bass
roll-off--condenser mikes behind them. We have a recording of one of our
Model 122 Vertical pianos (with singer Greta Matassa and pianist Joe Baque)
done this way.

And now I've already told you something more than I know about recording.

Del