hammer shapes

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:09:05 +0200

On dinsdag, jun 3, 2003, at 10:03 Europe/Amsterdam, Dave Nereson wrote:

> =A0=A0=A0 Yes, I've replaced many sets of hammers, but it's always a=20=

> gamble.=A0 Guess I've just lucked out so far.=A0 Admittedly, most of =
the=20
> pianos were not "concert" instruments, and would have been improved no=20=

> matter what brand was installed!
> =A0=A0=A0 But how do you others decide which type to buy for which =
pianos?
> =A0=A0=A0 --David Nereson, RPT

It depends on the hammers available for you on the market. Once you=20
have tried them all you know exactly what to expect and you make your=20
choice.
In our case it is more than clear. We know what we get, we know what it=20=

sounds like and we are perfectly happy with it every time.
And...it is of course a matter of taste. I remember reading this=20
article about two Australian piano builders : Stuart and Overs. In the=20=

article it said that there supposedly was a place for both of them as=20
both were completely different. One was warm and booming and the other=20=

was more sharp and with a higher timbre.
One of the things I have discovered is that once you have found an=20
address, a supplier, a factory, and you have established a firm and=20
healthy contact, many things are possible.
In our case : we have established a very nice contact with Renner in=20
Europe and they try very hard to please us for which we are more than=20
greatful.
It works both ways : We use and sell their products and they are=20
willing to go out of their way to make special hammers.
In the end, they can make any hammer. So we can order any hammer for=20
any piano. The only thing of major importance for us is the kind of=20
felt, but that story has been told enough times here.

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...