OT Nightmares of the Modern Age

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:57:12 -0400

Hi Don,

> system would be what cdr's would be useful for. Be aware folks that cdr's
> are *not* forever. The media can "rot".

I once investigated that as part of a museum archiving project.  At the
time, Kodak was estimating a useful life of 5 yr for their CDs -- but that
was when the technology was new, and they didn't really have a good handle
on the long-term stability of the product.

As far as you know, is there any more recent estimate of how fast these
things rot?  Do you know of any recommended storage precautions for these
things?

Peace,
Sarah