J. Strauss & Son Studio Piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:20:01 -0400

I serviced a 1 year old studio piano yesterday that had J. Strauss & Son stickered on the fallboard. I have little doubt this piano was made in China or Indonesia or thereabouts, but no other name on plate or elsewhere. Does anyone know who makes this piano?

The design and materials appeared low to mid-end, but the assembly appeared very good. Alignment of keys, action components, strings, etc. was excellent. The owner paid $3,000 for it - which I guess would be about right for a well put together cheap piano. It had 31 bass notes and the bass/tenor transition was tonally very good. Treble was better than average. Overall tone was very small and constrained (sounded more like a bad spinet than a studio), but gosh, just looking at the keys, strings and action, it looked like a new Yamaha. Anyway, overall, it seemed quite a bit better than what I might otherwise expect for one of these pianos.

Terry Farrell