"Metal Epoxy", (Steel Epoxy)/Terry

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:18:08 -0700

Terry, et al,
Steel epoxy, is simply Epoxy with Steel filings as a filler. I've been using
it for years, for bridge repair and oodles of other applications. As near as
I can figure, the Epoxy is formulated so that it has a high "bonding"
ability to the steel. Therefore, it is suitable to bond to metals. However,
it doesn't seem to bond very well to brass, copper and other non-ferrous
metals. This is just my observations. Because of this, I don't think it is
appropriate for repairing the Sostenuto, in question. I still think that the
low temp Silver solder is the answer to that problem. I get mine from Radio
Shack. It is applied with a soldering iron, (appropriate wattage per the
mass of the application). There are certain types of silver solder that
require a much higher heat. This type is very tough. However, if the object
should not have high heat, then it is not appropriate. Such is the case with
the Sostenuto rod.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)