George Steck grand

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 11:56:36 -0500

My little Steck is also "agraffeless" but I never felt it was a social
handicap. The bass strings go from pin to bridge in a dead-straight line
under a capo bar. Would agraffes improve such a system? I just don't see
how--nor do I see any place to put them. Hmm ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 11:26 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: George Steck grand

I take care of a George Steck grand that is (believe it or not) used for
light concert work (among other things).  It is an agraffeless piano
(through the bass).  The piano currently suffers from bad scaling and
corrosion on the strings and has a rubber band sounding bass.  There is
not
a great deal of money for the instrument, but enough to cover
restringing
and a few other repairs (piano has new hammers, action is okay).  My
question has to do with whether or not it would be worth creating a more
secure arrangement for the terminations at the tuning pin side in the
bass
and low to mid tenor, and how that might be done in a faux agraffe way.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

---