1999 Steinway L with heavy action

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:54:42 -0400

> Mark,
>
> How about 88 Strike Weights?  We'd get so much more information that's
> useful.  If you send us 88 Strike Weights I'll make a nice analysis graph
> set to share with the group...
>
> David Stanwood

Here they are, along with some other info.

Key ratio is quite consistently near .52 (.507 to .525 on the ones I
measured, average .517)
No evidence of any intent to graduate from bass to treble, etc.

Capstan line appears to be quite straight (checked with straight edge)

Wippen weight measured at cushion is about 15.5g (15.4 to 16.0 on the ones I
measured, average 15.5)

Key dip .45"/11.4mm

Blow distance 1.80"/46mm

17mm knuckles, but these are not particularly straight.  Flipped up hammers
and checked with straight edge and
saw as much as 1mm obvious difference between adjacent knuckles (checked the
letoff side).  Definitely not as straight
as capstans.

Strike weights (hammers have never been filed, so this can be taken as
original factory weight):
10.3
11.1
11.1