Rippen opinions, please!

Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:35:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 07, 2003 8:47 AM
Subject: Rippen opinions, please!

> Dear list,
>     There is a 1984, 42"(?) Rippen upright for sale in
> the paper. I know that these have been mentioned on
> the list from time to time, but I forget the gist of
> the comments. Please tell me what you think of these
> pianos.
>      Sincerely,
>      Gordon Stelter
>
> __________________________________

Andre has pretty well covered it. One question, though--weren't the Rippen
grands also flat-strung?

I might only add that some of the verticals had keybeds that were hinged at
the back and could be folded down into the case to make moving them up and
down stairs somewhat easier. We sold these pianos for a few years back in
the 1970s and this feature alone clinched several sales to music majors who
lived in the upper floors of converted houses.

Also, by the 1970 all Rippen verticals were built without backpost
assemblies. (I don't know about earlier instruments.) Given this and their
use of laminated soundboards they were quite stable. We had one in our home
when it (the house) was destroyed by fire one stormy January day.
(Portland, Oregon was in the middle of one of its infamous ice storms) The
firemen broke a hole through the wall just behind the piano, pushed it out
of the way and set up a large exhaust fan. After the fire the piano sat in
the cold (well below freezing), unheated house for about a week. After
finally removing it to our (heated) shop and letting it warm up for a few
days we found it right back on pitch and barely in need of tuning.

All in all, interesting pianos.

Regards,

Del